Historical Sketch of Bear River
compiled in 1893
Nestled among the hills, along both sides of the beautiful stream which for some distance forms the boundary line between the Counties of Annapolis and Digby, stands the bustling, enterprising community, which, collectively, is known as Bear River.
The parts on each side of the river belong to different Municipalities, and in some respects diverse interests. A few years ago an attempt was made to complete the diverse between the two sections of the town by giving to each a distinct name, that part on the Annapolis side being called Bridgeport, and that on the Digby side, Hillsburg. But this attempt to diverse to diverse what Nature had joined together proved abortive, and these names are seldom heard , while the general name used to designate both communities as one town remains fixed, doubtless, permanently. If we mistake net the sections on each side have recently formed a union for educational purpose, and at their present rate of progress the community of interest existing between both , may draw them into a more complete union, of a municipal nature at no very distant day.
Several explanations have been advanced as to the derivation of the name of this town. A recent writer claims its origin as derived from the French pronunciation of Imbert, a gentleman who formed one of a party visiting this spot as early as 1611. From the date of the French occupation of the country, 1604, to the date of their expulsion, in 1755, it is believed no settlement was made, as no remains have been found on which to ground an opposite assertion, and the town is, doubtless, of exclusive English origin. With the invasion of the United Empire Loyalists the settlement of the district commenced, and in 1784 the township of Clements, including both sides of the stream, was granted to certain English, Hessians, and Waldeckians, who had served during the old revolutionary war, and who, at its close, received grants of land, in lieu of other pay, for the services they has rendered in that unfortunate struggle. The first framed house was erected by one Capt. O’Sullivan Sutherland and stood nearly midway up the slope of the eastern hill, and adjacent to the present residence of Captain J. Harris. The house-warming was given on the occasion of its completion was a merry-making of no ordinary description. Everybody who was entitled to be somebody was invited, and music, dancing, and drinking made the hours roseate until the dawn of the next day. Among the guest were the Demoliters, the Hertrieks, Kyshes, Calceks, Vrooms, Ditmarses, Beehlers, Purdys, Joneses, and others whose names do not occur tour memory. Perhaps there has not been so jolly a party in the place from that day to this. Before the completion of this first framed dwelling a number of leg huts had been built and occupied by both German and English settlers, and the work of clearing the soil for cultivation had commenced, but with so little success, owing to the ignorance of the proprieters, that much want and suffering was felt by their families for several years to come.
Towards the close of the century, there was a considerable movement from the townships of Granville and Annapolis to the hill country on the shores of Bear River. It was at this period that the Clarkes, the Millers, the Troops, Dodges, the Rices, the Chutes, and the Harrises bought lands and settled in the district, a course they were induced to take in the belief that wheat and other cereals could be produced in larger quantities and of finer quality there than could be raised, on the same sized areas, elsewhere in the county and the descendents of these men to-day constitute a large percentage of the population, both of the village and its immediate vicinity. Still, up to the date under review, 1790-1810, there had been no village visible, but seen after saw-mills began the work of transforming the timber up the streams into lumber, necessitating the inception of shipbuilding, which was almost contemporaneously begun, stores were erected, and a thriving town was the final result.
No less than seven or eight public highways converge upon the present town from different directions, and not an hour passes without the arrival of vehicles laden with freights for export or passengers on business or pleasure. Substantial and comfortable dwellings line the hilly streets in all directions, which at every point, new aspects in landscape scenery. Neat fruit and vegetable gardens and lawns are attached to nearly every domicile in the town, and thrift and comfort everywhere give evidence to vital existence. To-day the greater number of stores are on the Annapolis side, where Clarke Bros. have become the leaders in Bear River in business matters, although there are a number of new and well furnished ones on the west side of the river.
The town has fine places of worship, the Baptists being the leading denomination. Within the past year, they have remodeled their church, making it one of the handsomest in the town. The Methodists and adherents to the English Church have each neat pretty religious edifices on the north side of the river, and the Adventists have also a house of worship. Bear River have sent from its shipyards many vessels, some of large tonnage, constructed by such efficient master-builders as Mr. Thomas Rice, Captain John Benson, the Lents, and others, which carried away freights of lumber, cordwood, pulpwood, and other products of the forests, for which it is noted, to parts of the United states, the West Indies, etc., and commanded by our skillful and intelligent native captains.
This delightful resort among the hills has also gained a deal of notoriety owing to its mammoth yield and great variety of cherries, and is visited, during the season, by excursionists from distant parts of the counties of Annapolis, Digby and elsewhere, to enjoy to their hearts content a feast of the luscious fruits. Besides the hundreds of others, here and there may be seen a majestic cherry tree planted by the French during their occupancy of the country, which serve as historical landmarks of that period.
The construction of the so-called “Missing Link” of railway from Annapolis to Digby, and the building of a new highway from the town to the depot, — located some four miles distant, –proved a great boom to the commercial interests of the entire locality, affording as it does mere direct communication with the principal avenues of travel.
Within the past year, electric light has been introduced, driven by one of the best water powers to be found in the country, while the many other improvements in the way of new dwellings a $7,000 schoolhouse and other evidences of prosperity and wealth mark the town as one of the most progressive in the western part of the province.
the first Oakdene school a History of Bear River , written in 1893, author unknown.
All content on this site © the Bear River Tides and Think for Yourself Publishing 2011-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.