19th century architecture

All posts tagged 19th century architecture

Village News: As it happens: April 2

Published April 2, 2012 by oddacity designs

The Bear River Tides is published at the beginning of each month, but a lot of folks just don’t want to wait that long between thrills.  So here you will find out what’s going on, without losing your patience!

The Loss of a Legacy

April 2:  Unfortunately it wasn’t an April Fool’s joke when the Hillsburgh United Church was decommissioned on April 1st, ending a long history in the village.

From Lennie Wade’s Historic Glimpses of Picturesque Bear River:                 The first Methodist Church was built almost on the site of the present one, in 1837, and was used until 1859 or 1860 when the present one was erected.  The old building was moved up on the Chute Rd, next to the home of H.N. Chute, where it still stands (1) used as a dwelling home. Until 1860, this church belonged to the circuit of Annapolis, which was extended from Digby to Horton, but in that year it became an independent circuit and the ministers have been as follows: Rev. F.W. Pickles, R.Mason, J.S. Coffin, F. Harris, Wm. McCarty…….

a church no more

(1) The building at the corner of Clementsvale Rd. and Chute Rd. is the one referred to by the author. ( See tour of historic houses.)


New Folks in Town

We welcome Ashley, Matthew Leonard and family to Bear River.  They are settling in to their new home, formerly owned by the Voleniks,  next to Mount Hope Cemetery.


Check out the Commerce page for the most recent edition: Businesses from the Past.

Historic Glimpses of Picturesque Bear River: Lennie D. Wade: Part One

Published February 18, 2012 by oddacity designs

In 1908, Lennie D. Wade wrote a lovely and lengthy history about Bear River . Here is Part One.

This is the cover page:

Here are the contents: the photos have been added by The Bear River Tides, following the originals as closely as possible and with some additions.  The numbers designate footnotes.


As much of the information herein published has been gathered from various sources, many of the statements may not be in accord with facts and the writer will be greatly indebted to anyone furnishing authentic corrections. Thanks are due chiefly to many of the older inhabitants, and to some of the younger ones who have been very kind in supplying much of the data recorded.

signed, Lennie D. Wade

Historic Glimpses of Picturesque Bear River

Bear River :"Jewel of the Province"looking south

To get our first glimpse of Bear River we must go back two hundred and ninety five years, to January 13th, 1613, when a small vessel, bringing supplies to the French colonies at the head of the Annapolis Basin, was forced to take shelter from a severe snowstorm in the lee of what is now called Bear Island.

When the storm had ceased, the captain, Simon Imbert discovered near them the mouth of  a small river to which he returned after delivering his cargo. This river he explored as far as the meeting of its two branches, now known as “Head of the Tide”.  The first sawmill erected there bore his name, and a road nearby is still called “Imbert’s Hill”.

view of Imbert's Hill in foreground

As his name was pronounced “Imbare” among the Acadians, the river may have been known first as ” Imbare”  and later known as Bear River, this name being applied still later to the town which sprung up along its banks. On Champlain’s map of the this same river was known as “St. Antoine” while on Les Carbot’s map it was named in honor of one Louis Hebert, an apothecary in the expedition of De Monts.  Hebert left Port Royal in 1613 but his descendants are numerous in different parts of Canada.

It may have been from the name of either of these men that our river was so called “Bear River” or it may have been from the following Indian legend.

Many years ago when the noble red men reigned supreme as the lords of the forest, three hardy braves, each with his squaw and papoose started down from the head of the river to it’s mouth to engage in catching the porpoise, then their chief means of livelihood.Arriving at a suitable spot for a camp, the braves went off to their work, leaving their squaws to pitch the tents and prepare a meal against their return.

The squaws were busily engaged stirring the food over the fire, when they saw coming toward them, three big brown bears.  Of course, their first thought was for the papooses and they must have decided that the only way to save these babies was by giving their own lives.

In Those days every Indian woman wore a tall, cone shaped birch bark cap.  So these three squaws each rushed at a big brown bear and as the big brown bears stood up on their hind legs, mouths wide open, made a grand dive, cap first, down the bear’s throats. Whether these three big brown bears were choked to death. or whether they died from a sudden sever spell of indigestion, we do not know, but when the Indian braves returned  from their day’s work, they found only the bodies of the three big brown bears and those of the little papooses who had died either of fright or of hunger.  The latter’s bodies were quietly buried but the braves each dragged a big bron bear’s body to the edge of the river and threw it in grunting as he did so “Ugh, mooin,sisboo”

Bear River First Nations traditional dress

The reader is at liberty to judge which derivation he pleases.

As the French made no settlement along this river, we must look elsewhere for the earliest settlers.  Though a few ofthe Loyalists settled here, it is  to the Rices, Clarkes, Harrisses, Millers and Chutes who came from Granville, Annapolis and Digby, that we must look as the pioneers, with the Bogarts, Croscups, Bensons, and Crouses of Loyalist stock as co-workers.

When these people first settled here, their homes were but log houses, and the only highway, the river.  The cellar was not built under the house but was simply a hole dug in a bank or side of a hill in which vegetables etc. were stored.  The first frame house was built by a Captain O’Sullivan Sutherland in 1785, near the house now occupied by Mr. O.H. Ford.  The oldest standing house is that owned by Mr. George Tupper.(1)

Among the first to build homes on the west side of the river was Mr. Christopher Prince Harris, whose descendants still live on the old place, and about the same time, Mr. Thomas Chute, grandfather of the late Mr. H.H. Chute, commenced to clear land on the east side.(2)

It is said that portions of the Hessian and Waldeckian troops were picketed at different points outside of Port Royal. These men naturally longed for something from their homeland, so they sent back by one of the vessels for some Lombardy poplar trees.  These trees were planted a few in each place where the troops were stationed and a group of them may be seen on the road leading past our Advent Tabernacle.(3)

Another old landmark is the poplar tree near the site of Bear River’s first sawmill, near the brook opposite the Academy. The grandfather of Mr. George C. Harris walked from Halifax here and used a stout stick as a cane. When he reached this place he stuck it in the ground and it has gron into the grand old tree now seen.  A clause in the deed of the land on which it stands provides that it shall never be cut down.(4)

The first sawmill ; poplar tree in center of photo is one referred to in story.

Bear River has always been noted for its cherries, and perhaps it will be interesting to some to know that the first trees were brought here from England by a man named William Sutherland in the latter part of the 18th century.  They were planted on the upper  flat of  Clarke’s Marsh, where is now the Y.M.S.C’s tennis court.(5)

the point of land in the center of photo is the upper area of Clarke's marsh, now the Millyard.

The oldest one was cut down about 70 years ago and had grown to an immense size.  There is a story to this effect- a curse will be put upon the people and a blight upon the trees if a monument  be not erected to the memory of him who first brought them here. There certainly seems to be a blight upon the trees.  Notwithstanding this fact, there is generally held during the cherry season a festival throughout the  country as “Bear River Cherry Carnival”  On this eventful day, crowds gather from far and near to witness calithumpian parades, sports of all kinds and to enjoy a regular feast of cherries of which there is usually a good supply.

an early Cherry Carnival

Excursions run that day and all through the season, by steamers from Digby, Annapolis, Westport, Centerville, Margaretsville, and many people, both tourist and native, avail themselves to visit our village and to carry away quantities of the fruit and a report of a general good time. (6)

Formerly our town and vicinity was  included in the township of Clements, all forming a part of Annapolis county.  This township was granted to and created by Ge0rge Sutherland and two hundred and forty others, members of disbanded German troops, who came to Nova Scotia in 1783.  These men  were also known as the Hessians and the Waldeckians, and we have living in our town the descendants of several of them. Christopher Benson’s name was on the list of 1784, also those of Capt. Donwe Ditmars, John Morehouse, and Francis Ryerson.  Stephen Ryerson, a son of the latter,was the prototype of the character of “Stephen Richardson” hunter, trapper and humorist whom Haliburton has so well described in one of his works (probably “Old Judge in a Colony).

Some of the first roads built leading out of Bear River were (1) from Bear river to Allain’s Creek in 1787. (2) from Bear River to Moose River in 1800.  (3) from Bear River to Annapolis in 1801.  The first bridge on the site of the one now crossing the river at the village was built in 1808, while the present one was commenced in May 1886, and finished in December of the same year at an approximate cost of $10,000.

An education was not very easily obtained in the early days of our town.  At first a few women made it their business to travel through the country-teaching a few weeks in each place.  But the first regular teacher was William Nicholl, an Englishman who came out from the old country about 1800.  One of the “copy books” used in his school is in the possession of the  writer of this history.

The first building in which he taught was a log house, standing between where is now the post office and G.I. Brook’s shop.(7)  Since the time of that building, schools have been kept in different places, including the Temperance hall(8) and an old meeting house, until the law was passed in 1864, when schools were run by taxation, and the houses in both the Hillsburg and Bridgeport sections were built.  The house in the latter section has been torn down but the Hillsburg one still stands and is used as a sail loft by Mr. Russel. In 1892 these two sections were united, and a  new building built on the Annapolis side of the river.

The original Academy, built 1892

We now have one of the finest schools in the country, conducted by a very worthy principal, and having six departments, a library, manual training benches, and an excellent laboratory.  Our Town Hall, where all concerts are given etc., is on the third floor.

It might be well to say here that the first Postmaster was the William Nicoll referred to previously and the “office” was a small box in his schoolhouse.  Until 1845, or previous to this time, no regular system of mails had been established, occasionally the mail having been carried all the way from Halifax in some’one’s coat pocket.  But now (1845) weekly mails were established between Halifax and Digby  via Annapolis.  A “courier” left Halifax every Monday afternoon about  two o’clock, and weather permitting, reached Kentville the following Wednesday.  Here he met the “courier” from Digby, mails were exchanged and each started on his homeward trip.  As the journey was made on horseback, the mails were carried in the saddlebags.

When the mail had reached Digby, the Bear River Portion was entrusted to anyone who happened to be going that way.  In a similar manner, the mails were taken to and from Yarmouth.

Annapolis became connected with Windsor by railroad in 1865 but it was not until September 29th, 1879 that the road was completed between Yarmouth and Digby.  At this time a line of coaches connected Bear River with Digby (10 miles) and Annpolis (16 miles, the “Missing Link”  as it was called, between Digby and Annapolis was   completed in 1891, when the trains were enabled to nake a through trip from Halifax to Yarmouth, this completed line being now known as “the Dominion Atlantic Railway”

Train crossing Bear River bridge early 1900's.

We now only have a short drive of four or five miles from the town to Bear River station.  There are so many beautiful bits of scenery on this winding road by the “Rhine of Nova Scotia” that when one is comfortable seated in one of F.W. Purdy’s up-to-date turnouts,one is apt to wish the drive much longer.(9)

The probabilities are, however, that before another ten years have passed, we will have a railroad of our own, connecting us with the other lines.  Several surveys have been made and our esteemed citizen, Mr. J.V. Thomas, has been instrumental in promoting the work, thus far.(10)

In 1837, the counties of Digby and Annapolis were separated, our river forming part of the boundary line between them.

The river divides the two counties: Digby and Annapolis

The ten years between 1831 and 1841 seems to have been the ” busy day” in the growth of Bear River town.  During that time, the first vessels were built and five churches were established.  Where now stands the greater potion of the business part of the town on the east side of the river, was then marshes and mud flats, the river flowing right up to where Mr. Phinney’s harness shop and the custom office now are(11)  In 1832 the first vessel, a schooner called the “Hornet” was built and launched on the present site of the Union Bank of Halifax.There were shipyards all along the river, from one down at the ‘Creek” at the foot of Chisholm’s hill up to the “Head of the Tide”.  Since that year, there have been built about 115 vessels, with a tonnage of 20,932 net. The largest one ever built was the  “Tamar E Marshall”, 1270 tons and the last one built was the “Castano”, in 1901.

examples of some Bear River ships

Up to 1895, shipbuilding was one of the leading industries of the place, but since then it has almost ceased.  We have, however, a set of ships’ blocks, where a vessel may be repaired from almost any damage.(12)


(1) This would be the house on the corner of Tupper and Upper River Rd. recently owned by Hoppy Hopkins. That it is the oldest standing house would be disputed by many older residents.

(2) The Chute family owned much of the land in the area surrounding what is now the Chute Rd.

(3) This would be the area on River Rd. near the Head of the Tide.  The former Advent Christian Church still stands on the right as you travel up the road from the firehall.

(4) This would be across the street from what is the United Church.

(5) The trees were cut down when the sawmills were built on this flat; now the Bear River Recreational Millyard.  However, Bob Benson the current owner has discovered that there are new cherry trees growing from the roots of the trees that were cut down, and is protecting and nurturing them.

(6) See the page/post of Cherries and Cherry Carnival on this website for more details.

(7) The author is referring to the buildings that were destroyed by fire in the 1970’s that were next to the building housing Ali’s Meat Market on the Digby side of the river.

(8) the Temperance Hall was built just south of  the Baptist Church where there is now a parking lot.

(9) There was also the Yorke Livery service which also ran between town and the railway station.

(10) Unfortunately this never happened.  We wonder if it had any effect on the downturn in the Town’s fortunes. Mr. J.V Thomas was listed as having a business in lumber, shingles and lathe, in the business directory of Bear River 1892.

(11) According to old maps of the village, this would be where the Wharf St. begins, next to the Legion building.

(12) This was probably found in the Rice’s shipbuilding yard  which was located where the Firehall now stands.  It was the last remaining shipyard in the village at the time this account was written.

Tour of Historic Houses

Published January 29, 2012 by oddacity designs


While the village has lost many buildings over the years, there are still some wonderful examples of 19th century architecture, and each building has a rich history of its own.

 Dr. Lovett House:  This home was built in 1896 for Dr. Lewis Johnstone  Lovett (1867-1942). The home was designed in New York City, and was the wedding present to Dr. Lovett and his bride, Josephine Troop Marshall, from her father, Alpheus Marshall Esq., a leading merchant of the village. Dr. Lovett was well known  politically ,being a staunch supporter of the Liberal Party, and serving as a member of parliament from 1920 to 1925. He served as a president of the Bear River Board of Trade and did much to develop the community as a summer resort. This is a second empire home that was strategically built upon a hill. The mansard roof is equipped with dormers throughout. The entrance is an enclosed verandah/sunporch. The positioning on the hill gives it an extra storey.

In recent history, the house was used as a Bed and Breakfast called Lovett Lodge, from the early 1980’s to the late 1990’s, operated by Adrian Potter. At present it is uninhabited.

Green Lantern:This building is dated from about 1882, originally built as a warehouse by Edward E. Rice who was one of Bear River’s wealthiest men. In 1888 Edward had sold the Green Lantern Building to Thomas Bales Coombs. Thomas Bales Coombs was the first commissioner of Canada for the Salvation Army. He arrived in Canada in 1884 from England and bought this  building in  1888, when the Salvation Army was just five years old. From 1924 to 1944  Robert Yorke turned the building into a theatre: the main entertainment center in Bear River at this time. Mr. Yorke showed silent films here . Mr. Yorke should be a man commemorated as bringing enlightenment and entertainment to this village. Movies shown through the second world war must have given some relief to the bereaved and worried residents. This property has truly had a colorful and eventful past and should be proudly looked upon. The architecture is a rare vernacular design with few windows.

From the time it ceased being the location for weekly movies in the late 1950’s, the building sat empty. In the 1970’s, Donna and Michael Susnick operated the Bear River Farmer’s Museum there.  It was renovated to some extent in the 1980’s and used by the Board of Trade for meetings.  It was also used by a kayak and canoe maker for three years as a workshop. This historic property is now owned by the Bear River Board of Trade and unfortunately is in need of many repairs. Until recently it was the home of the Bear River Historical Society’s Museum.

STEWART DARRES’ POOL HALL. This building is believed to have been built circa 1900   and was once owned by Alpheus Marshall. It served as the home of the Dr. Dinsmore’s dentist office prior to 1924. when J. Arthur Rice, probate clerk for Bear River obtained the building for his office. In 1924 Stewart Darres owned the store/restaurant next to this building ) and built an addition on to his restaurant which unknowingly encroached on this property in question, owned then by J. Arthur Rice. Mr. Rice allowed Mr. Darres to keep this addition provided Mr. Darres pay him a yearly sum of money. In 1936 Stewart bought this building.and  joined it with his store/restaurant so that he had a restaurant with a pool room attached in one structure ( the link has since been torn away). Stewart kept hens and exotic birds under the lower part of this building.  In the restaurant that once adjoined this building he sold homemade ice cream.

The building is now a private residence, having served as a retail space for local crafters  for several years. in the 1980’s there was a small pottery shop and residence in the building.

Captain Anthony Building:  This was built in 1893 and remains the only waterfront commercial building in Bear River, Digby County. It has very direct links to the “golden age of sail”, 1870-1915. Once encircled by a wharf, it served the needs of the ship-building community.The encircling wharf and storage building at the rear, were removed before the 1920s. The third floor was lost to a fire in the late teen’s. However, the remainder of the building  has remained virtually unchanged.

Original gingerbread carvings, lintels, doors. windows etc. remain virtually intact. The interior, with its tongue-in-grove walls and ceiling and its 25 foot long oak store display counter, also are original. Both floors are in keeping with the end of the last century, with the look of an old sea captain’s home. Capt. Anthony retired from the sea in 1893. It is a fine example of a rare second Empire architecture.

In the 1920’s local boys were paid 3 cents an hour to unload from a ship and 2 cents an hour to unload from the land.  The 25 foot counter is original to the building which served the community for many years as a wonderful general store and meat market operated by Ali Harris.

Ali Harris’s store was a delight and will be the subject of another post.

Following Ali’s Meat Market, the Rice family took over the grocery business for a brief time, followed by a  tailor shop, and an antique store and art gallery.  The building now stands vacant.

William Riordan Building 1852.  This  building was originally built on the opposite side of the street and moved to the present location in 1903.  It was used as a store by a variety of merchants, including the Clarke  (1902-1919) when it was sold to Louis V. Harris who operated a drugstore there until 1962, and it continued as a drugstore until the 1990’s.  This is a one and a half storey Greek Revival with a decorative false front.  it is one of the few remaining buildings built on pilings over the water.

The building was purchased in the mid 1990’s and turned into a cafe.  Various cooks tried operating a restaurant in the premises, and then the building was sold and sat empty for several years.  Sold once again,it once again is used as a cafe, in spite of the fact there is no water to the building.

Andrew Harris building, 1845.  This building has a long history of commercial use; originally built by Andrew H Harris, master mariner and shopkeeper, near his wharf on the east side of the river. He purchased the lot from Robert Jefferson in 1845 for five pounds.  The store was sold to John Troop in 1881 and it was used as a customs house until 1903.  in early deed it was described as the wharf lot with wharf and store.  Later a Bandstand was built in the lot between the store and river. The Clarke Bros. owned and operated a store here from 1903 to 1924, and it continued as a store in various capacities, purchased by Flight of Fancy Crafts co-operative in 1982.  The building is built on stilts to allow for the flow of the river under it at high tide, as the lands behind the store are a man made landfill project.

Unfortunately the stilts and sills under this building are in serious disrepair, causing the right rear corner to sag dangerously.

The building was the home of Bear River Home Furnishings until sold to a group of local artists/craftspeople in the early 1980’s who formed the Flight of Fancy Crafts Co-operative.  Unfortunately, they found the co-operating part difficult and one member, Rob Buckland Nicks bought it and made it a single proprietorship. He runs the shop from May through October, and has established a reputation as one of the finest craft shops in the province.

The Masonic Hall 1828. The building and land were originally owned by Robert Jefferson, and sold to Isaac Willet in 1835, and used for commercial purposes by 3 other owners until 1967 when it was purchased by the Keith Lodge #1628.  The Masonic Lodge of  Bear River was established in 1851, and granted it’s full charter in 1954, making it one of the oldest lodges in Nova Scotia. Since purchasing the building, the Lodge has enlarged and improved it, with a major renovation in 1911.  The Lodge meetings were held upstairs and the main floor rented out.  It can be remembered as Lilly Hubley’s tea shop, Chester Kaulback’s barber shop and Samuel Parker’s watch repair shop. It is a version of Greek revival.

It is now used exclusively by the Masons of Keith Hall, Branch 16.

Clarke Brothers 1902: Now the Bear River Legion branch #22.  In 1903, a store that was located on this land was purchased from C.C. Rice and moved to the other side of the street, and the building replaced it. It was used as commercial premises and possible a bank, until the Royal Canadian Legion bought it in 1947.  It is an example of a highly modified Italianate commercial building.  It is joined to the New Horizons building which was originally built in 1851, purchased by William Reed in 1854 and the reed family ran a general store here until the Clarke Bros. bought it in 1901  The Bear River Legion purchased the building in 1973.

Trading Company Building 1856.  The first building of record on this lot was built in 1856 by David Rice and purchased by Harris Harding Chute in 1863 and later by the Clarke Bros. in 1880.  With the demise of the Clark Bros. empire in the 1920’s,it was taken over as the Bear River Trading Company by Mac Parker in 1932 and it is well loved and fondly remembered as such as a wonderful general store that included dry goods, housewares, hardware, groceries and a great candy counter.  In the 1880’s the building was substantially renovated by the Bear River Economic Development Society. It originally was connected to the adjoining building, built in 1856 by David Rice. It was referred to as the Sail loft building because the upper storey was used for the storage of sails for the wooden ships.  It also housed the local telegraph office for many years. The Trading Company complex is a cornerstone of the village, and one of the few remaining buildings that was built on “stilts’ over the water.

It now houses a second hand book and junk shop, a family diner, an ice cream emporium/gift shop, as well as two apartments.

Edward Sanford (Bear River Pulp Co.) 1880. Prominently visible in most photographs of old Bear River, this was built by Edward Sanford in 1880, purchased by the Clarke Brothers in 1890, and variously used as a warehouse for storing the goods to load onto ships, a hospital for sick seamen, a brandy and liquor store for ships, a ship’s chandler shop, and a horse and oxen barn, a home furnishings store, a used clothing enterprise and even a museum.  The building was purchased in 1996 and extensively renovated by the current owners. It is a Greek revival style commercial building, approximately 9500 sq. feet, the largest privately owned building in the village.

The building is home of Oddacity Designs, a one of a kind clothing and accessories enterprise, as well as a vintage/antique shop, The Innocent Rose,  and a licensed guest suite, Inn out of the Fog.

The Turnbull House.1829.  This is arguably the oldest remaining building in Bear River, and some claim a section of it dates to the late 1800’s when it was used as a stagecoach stop and inn.  A previous building may have been used for that purpose. The date of 1829 is well documented however, and was originally used as a house/store purchased by John Barr in 1845, it was used as a postal station and customs house, and it is during his ownership that it is believed that the addition of the painted room was made.  The building was purchased by the Great War Veteran’s Association of Canada, Bear River Branch, and used as a memorial and club house until 1947, when the group purchased the Legion building.  It is a modified vernacular style with Greek influence. One feature of the house is a “painted room” which is believed to have been created in the mid 1800’s.

It is currently uninhabited.

Bear River Customs House 1920. This is now known locally as the Rebekah hall as the building was owned for many years by the Independent Order of Oddfellows, with the Ladies’ Auxiliary the Rebekah’s. Originally it served as the Customs House for the cargo that was brought into and leaving the area by the shipping industry. The downstairs has also housed the Royal Bank of Canada, a dress shop, millinery shop, bakery, and museum. The village cenotaph was originally located in the adjoining yard.

The building now houses a coffee roasting enterprise and an art gallery that is open occasionally. There is also a space on the second floor that is used for public events.

Edmund Walsh 1873: Known locally as the Harris house, this was built by Edmund Walsh, merchant, in 1873 and purchased by Robert McClelland in 1885 who operated it as an inn until 1898.  It was owned by Edward and Arthur Rice , prominent merchants until 1925, when it was purchased by Fred R Harris a prominent citizen of the village and the local insurance agent. At one time there was a tennis court in the back next to the creek.  The house is 3 storey Georgian with a mansard roof and Italianate influences.

The building was turned into apartments in the 60’s and then back to a single residence with a bed and breakfast in the late 1990’s, which closed in the early part of the 2000’s. It is  currently uninhabited.

Harris Harding Chute: 1857. One of the leading merchants in Bear River, Harris Chute also served as a Member of the Provincial Legislature. The house was purchased in 1884 by Wallace W. Clarke, one of the Clarke Brothers who ran the Trading Company, a lumber mill, clothespin factory, logging operation, shipbuilding operation, and shipping business.  It is still known in the village as the Clarke House, as the Clarke families lived there until 1944, when it was sold to Dr. Alexander Campbell, a physician who had his medical practice there until 1952.  It then became a residence for senior citizens and later was renovated into apartments.

John Moore House 1853   John Moore built this in 1853, and is listed in Lowell’s directory as having the occupation of caulker.  His daughter,  Elizabeth was a “spinster” who kept house for him, and inherited the property on his death in 1890.  It remained in the Moore family until 1944.  This is a modified Greek revival architecture.

It remains a single family residence.

Charles Brown 1869.This unusual example of a picturesque style architecture was built for Charles Brown, mariner, in 1869, and sold to Dr. Robert Ellison, who ran his medical practice there until  his death in 1907, when he willed it to his grandaughter Robina Romans.  It is still known locally as the Romans house, as the Romans family owned it until 1956 . This house is unusual in it’s three bay facade with central doorway.

It remains a single family residence.

Methodist Church: 1856.  It is believed that the Methodists were given this land by William Turnbull sometime between 1837 and 1840, and that there was a different building first built here, while other’s claim that this was the first church, built in 1856. The original structure had a tall steeple but it had to be removed as it was the frequent target of lightning and wind storms. This is a modified Greek revival architecture.  Unfortunately, the Hillsburgh United Church closed its doors in 2011 due to the declining numbers of congregants.

Andrew H. Harris 1837.  This is one of the oldest remaining buildings in the village, and the residence of Andrew Harris, who ran a dry goods and grocery store near the Bridge   He was deeded the land by his father, John Spurr Harris.  It remained in the Harris family until 1891, when it was purchased by Dr. Robert Ellison .   In 1907, it was purchased by Rhoda Yorke, wife of John Yorke who ran a livery stable between Bear River and Deep Brook, It was her horse and wagon teams that met  the Dominion Atlantic trains in Smith’s Cove and brought them into Bear River.  She also owned a dry goods store. The family also operated the Green Lantern theater for many years.

It remains a single family residence.

Oakdene School (1934)  The original Oakdene Academy which was built in 1895 was destroyed by a fire in January of 1934, and this replacement, similar to the destroyed school, was completed by September for the beginning of the school year. Unfortunately, the school was closed  in 1993 but the building now serves as a community center with  studio and commercial space.

St. John’s Anglican Church 1833: Originally the Anglican Church was built in 1833, but was destroyed by the same fire that devestated the school in 1934. This may have been the earliest church, but perhaps the smallest with it’s congregation beginning in the late 1700’s with the zarrival of the Hessians and Loyallists in 1784.  It was considered the most conservative of the village churches and adopted by the Protestant Hessians as a substitute for the Lutheran Church. this small church is still used for an occasional summer service.

Horatio Nelson Chute House  1830. It is believed this house was built inthe early 1830’s making it one of the oldest remaining houses in the village.  Horatio Nelson Chute was drowned off his boat “The Robert” in 1840, and the house passed to his wife and remained in the Chute family until 1855 when it became the property of Zebidiah Croscup, a shipwright and customs collector. In 1884 it was purchased by W Alpheus Chute, who’s occipation was listed as house mover, and later by his son Joseph Burton Chute, also a building mover; and the one who moved the Clarke Bros. buildings in 1903.  Oral history has it that he was famous throughout the county for his moving skills. It remained in the Chute family until 1951, then the Nicholl family until 1978, when it was turned into rental units.It has been recently renovated.

Zebidiah Croscup Building 1855.  The origins of this buidling have been in dispute for many years, some believing the builing was originally a church and later moved here.  There is no evidence of that however, and the records of the 1870’s show that this was a custom house operated by Zebediah Croscup .  Later this building was used to store and sell caskets. It is an example of a Greek revival commercial building.

All content on this site © the Bear River Tides and Think for Yourself Publishing 2011-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.